I'm hit - woman down.

So after my last post and feeing all uppity that I was doing so great - bam!

They got me - I have been literally surrounded by cold and flu infested people for the better part of a month. I thought I might have dodged the bullet but a week ago today I woke up feeling a little wierd and thought hmmmm. So I dug out the COld Fx and decided I would take some just to be safe. By the end of the day my neck was killing me - but being the queen of denial I thought just tight muscles from swimming. Tuesday I got up and that ominous burning sensation in my nasal passages told me that I had been hit - so I immediately went on the acute Cold-FX treatment regime. I got through the day not feeling too bad but skipped both workouts still hoping that by doing that I would be good to go on Wednesday.

No such luck by Wednesday I felt and looked like death warmed over. I made it through a 1/2 day and that was it. In an effort to beat this thing quickly I made the drastic decision that I was going to stay home and in bed until I beat it - about half of the people I know that have gotten this have been down for 2 - 3 weeks. I just cannot afford to miss that much time from training. I left my bed house once before Sunday's clinic run and that was for the Thursday clinic night where I just did the talks - no workout and then went home.

It was painful but it paid off - I woke up yesterday good to go and had a great 18km run with the clinic. I did have to slow down my pace but I felt good and today I feel great. I only missed a week so I am happy about that. Tomorrow I will start up again but just to make sure I don't relapse I will shorten the distances/times for the next week.

I was so glad I did not miss yesterday's run because it was such an inspiring run. I have a lady in my clinic who is absolutely terrified of bridges and the route was to go over to the Northshore via Lions Gate Bridge. A gorgeous route that I was very exited about, I was not aware of her fear and had already sent out the route so it was too late to change it. She emailed me and asked for another option so I quickly came up with another route for her that would let her run with us for the first part before we crossed. Sunday she came up to me and said I am going to do it - I want to run with my group. I was like are you sure? She was like yes - I drove it yesterday and I am going to run it today - she sounded determined but I could see the fear in her eyes. I grabbed her group leader and gave her the scoop and asked her to run beside her and if necessary hold her hand. I was not with them for the initial pass over but on the way back I ran back to see how they were doing and decided to cross over with them. She owned it - not once did her stride falter! I was so proud of her and to see the look of total triumph in her face when we got to the other side was the best thing I have seen in awhile. Made the run that much better.

Ready to get back at er

Shaun

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best day ever!

For the love of running

Yes I am still alive.