A great day to be a Pace Bunny.

Bunny Assignment Pace time: 2 hours 30 min, Race: Vancouver International Half Marathon



Weather was awesome – nothing but sunshine. Got down to the meeting place to grab my sign and found a bunch of anxious faces with a complete look of relief – I knew about half of them as they were from the clinic I coach/lead out of the Denman Running room. We headed off to the start chute a few asked for my bunny resume – I assured them that yes I had run a “couple” of half’s and was pretty sure I could get the 2:30 time and yes we would be running the 10 and 1 format.

During the first few km the group for the most part stayed with me- a few ran off ahead convinced I was going too slow. Off and on I would sing a few bars of the Sesame street tune – you know the one Mahnanah- doot doot de doot doot, Mahnahnah…. And tell a bad bunny joke every couple of km to keep spirits up. As we hit the half way mark the group all checked their watches and advised me that I was on time – whew that was a relief - actually we had a 10 second cushion but I was not about to point it out. In the Vancouver half around the 13km mark there is a 1km climb - it is the nemesis of a lot of people and so as we hit the bottom I started to sing the song my clinic sings during hill climb sessions – I feel good by James Brown. We got to the top and I looked around not bad 5 had stuck with me – pace up the hill 6:57/km. The five with me did a quick watch check and again assured me that I was still on time – they thought I had picked up the pace but now that they had checked they wanted to let me know I had not. (LOL)

When we hit English bay which is just under 4km I had 7 or 8 of the original group with me – I told them to get going. There was a moment of panic but we can’t leave the bunny – yes you can get going - get a sub 2:30! So with a firm but gentle push off they went. From this point on I started looking for people - I would jog backwards and just scan the crowd behind me – when I spotted someone I would start calling them and wiggling my finger – come on get up here. Then when they got to me I would say less than ….. km go and tell them to go. Then I would turn around and jog forward for a bit to watch them – if I came up on anyone that I knew I would jog up and talk to them -ask them what their power word was and if they did not have one I would remind them – you are an athlete – you have trained for this, you are strong and then give them a gentle push sending them off. I continued this for the entire last 2 km to the finish line. I crossed at 2:28:20 and then stood and waited calling from just beyond the mat – come on let’s go. I am pleased to say that
pretty much everyone crossed in 2:30.



It was a great day to be a bunny and I am super proud of everyone especially my clinic members - what an honour and treat to be able to share in their triumph. It was also great to run into fellow team Nathan member Lillian and learn that she had a great race with a Personal Best in the Full. Team Nathan rocked it. Going forward I will be focusing on me – Oliver Half Ironman is 4 weeks away time to start visualizing my own triumphant finish!

Peace out Shaun

Comments

Kirsten said…
In the words of Stormy: Go to your happy pace. Great work on yet another race leading folks to victory and a great run along the way.
Janine Karlsen said…
Great post Shaun, it was pretty cool to hear the perspective of the pace bunny! Great work with your 2:30 group, and here's to you exceeding your goals for your race next month!

Popular posts from this blog

Best day ever!

Inside track to the Ironman Bike course

For the love of running