$1.3 million for the kids

My favorite weekend of the year has come and gone and once again it was a huge success. For the last 12 years I have been involved with the Easter Seals 24 Hour Relay for the kids. Originally as a runner and team captain and the last 8 years on the planning committee as the Volunteer Coordinator. http://www.24hourrelay.com/

The event is a relay that goes along a 4km course for 24 hours. Teams register and hopefully have at least 15 - 20 runners that take turns running or walking the course while raising money to send kids with disabilities to camp at no cost to their families. I know how important this is as I have a nephew who used to go to these camps and it was the highlight of his summers. These kids are amazing and the camps are astounding allowing kids to rock climb, canoe, and a zillion other things while hanging out with their friends. It shows them that they can when often they are told they can't.

The weather was perfect and pretty much all of my close friends were involved in the event in some way by either volunteering time or running laps - it was awesome. Especially when we are able to run as much as we do - to be able to be involved in an event where running gives back to others is great and I know for me reminds me how truly blessed I am.

My soul is replenished and I am so inspired by the kids.

Shaun

Comments

Anonymous said…
You BIG SOFTEE!!!!
Anonymous said…
You're awesome Shaun. Thanks so much being a part of the relay, your support and efforts go a long way.

The camps really are amazing, state of the art, completely accessible spaces that let kids with all abilities try new things and gain confidence in a safe and nurturing environment.

Its people like you that make these spaces possible.

thanks again

- easter seals!

Popular posts from this blog

Best day ever!

Anatomy on how NOT to run a major Race

For the love of running