Yes I am still alive.

Wow it has been a while since I have posted ! Too busy training and such.
Since the last time I posted I have been carefully playing with my nutrition/electrolyte needs to get it right for race day. Mixed results but I think I have got it figured out, more on that later.

Did 2 races during the last 2 weeks : the 3km Kits Swim Challenge and Escape Velocity’s WarpSpeed Time Trial. So it has been busy.

The Swim went well – at least from my perspective – I was calm , I finished and it was in about the time I thought I would do – I would prefer a little faster but it is what it is and I feel confident that I will finish the Ironman swim. I am hoping for 1 hour 40 min but in the end the goal is to finish it and get to the bike before cut-off which I now know I will do. I did the swim in 1 hour 31 min for 3 km in very choppy water! I felt like I was in a washing machine but when I came out I was not exhausted and more importantly I did not panic or freak out at the start or whenever anyone came up to me – I was “Bamboo”.

– Funny aside - I just finished my OWS course on Thursday and at our wrap up dinner a couple of other ladies in the course were talking and I said they should register for the 750m race and use it as a training swim. The amazing Diane hemmed and hawed and I cajoled her into registering with the famous “Really, HOW BAD CAN IT BE?” line. So fast forward to Saturday morning and I am standing with there with Special K who has come to cheer and Diane wanders up and says I can’t believe I am doing this – look what happens over a beer? Shaun talked me into this! Special K was like – this is nothing – do you know the crazy things this woman has talked me into over a beer or breakfast? Stormy, Marathons, H2H! It is a slippery slope sister! I started laughing – Who ME???? – I guess you had to be there and know the history – it is kinda true. Anyone want to for a beer...

Next up was the Escape Velocity Time Trial – coach wanted us to do a 20km Time Trial in Abbotsford and then I was to bike home from Abbotsford to Burnaby to get another 4 hours in. We got there early and signed in I chose the 10:17am start time because I wanted to get done and on the road back home – it was going to be a long day as it was. I did my 30+ min warm-up and rode up to the start line 5 min prior but some error they did not have me down on the list – when I tried to talk to them they would not listen – the list showed the time and it was fairly obvious that they forgot to put my name in. Anyways after some negotiating they re-slotted me in at 10:33 – warm-up now wasted but better than their suggested 11:00 time that I refused. Apparently anger fuels me because my time was 36:30 (my watch still waiting for their results) which I am very pleased with as I wanted under 40 min. I then grabbed all my stuff from the back of my friends car and put it back on my bike – fluids, food, and such (forgot my tool kit thankfully I did not flat on the ride!). Went to the bathroom, grabbed a banana and headed off on my Fraser Valley adventure! Snap Crackle Pop it was a HOT day – but my legs felt fine and I did not get a headache or anything from the heat – one problem was my neck and shoulders were cramping up something fierce – need to get my handle bars looked at.

For fuel I had 5 bottles of Electrolytes, 2 gels, a banana and a peanut butter sandwich – I felt good just HOT - no leg cramping. I think I might be better to eat a few more gels and I could have eaten my apple I brought but my metabolism is ridiculously slow so I believe for me it is more important to make sure I get in the electrolytes/liquids since I sweat a ridiculous amount. I did try to add some Natural liquid minerals in my bottles during the past week but I don’t like the taste and that means I won’t drink them which defeats the purpose.

I will continue to fine tune/tweak this since I know it is essential I stay hydrated. The one bonus with the heat wave is that I am getting used to riding/running in the heat. Only 35 more days to go – gosh it is coming up fast!
Shaun

Comments

Kirsten said…
a slippery slope indeed, but you know i love the ride!! stormy relay next year and then...canadian death race!!!
Athena said…
...slippery slope - more like slip, sliding away

...it's about the conversation Shaun and I had re: "if you don't sign up you won't train for it" - and that was for the victoria 1/2 marathon. Paid my $$ now wondering what I've done to myself...
Shazam said…
LOL - Diane - good for you! I will make sure to come and cheer you on in Victoria! Very proud of you - shall I say marathon next year....
Kirsten said…
yay diane! congrats, don't worry, there are going to be lots of the DRR folks at Victoria this year. you'll have lots of company to celebrate your finish and plan your marathon!!

Popular posts from this blog

Best day ever!

13 hours 50 minutes - goal time

For the love of running