What a year!

As 2009 winds down I find myself reflecting on a lot. There were so many highlights – I really don’t know how I am going to top it in 2010.

I entered some open water swim races – all in the name of getting to Ironman.  Competed in some bike races and even won a silver medal at the provincial Time Trials again in the name of Ironman.  One of the best treats was applying for and getting accepted as a sponsored athlete by Nathan. If anyone had told me I would be not only successfully complete Ironman but also be a sponsored athlete I would have laughed so hard – but it just goes to show you that with hard work and eternal optimism you can achieve anything you set out to do.  I am still amazed and very curious as to how far I can push. 

So what is up for next year – plans – so many plans. I am back to leading half marathon clinics but I am also in talks with my riding coach on how to go about getting certified to teach/coach beginner triathletes. We are going to sit down and lay out a game plan to help me move into that direction. One of the things I realized while training for Ironman is that I am happiest when I am working out/training and so I want to find a way to make that a bigger part of my life. Leading half marathon clinics for the last 4 years has shown me that I have a knack for coaching – at least at the beginner stage.

From talking to people in my running clinics and just in general there are a lot of people that are interested in starting tris but really don’t know where to begin. Most of the coaches out there are for middle/long distance experienced athletes but there is not much out there for those just starting out.

For actual races the big race for next year that I really want to do is Stormy 50 Mile Ultra Trail race. http://homepage.mac.com/designr2/stormy/

I have done this as part of a relay team but in 2010 I would like to do it as a solo race. I mean you have to up the ante after Ironman…. Whether I register or not will really depend on how the next few months go as I really focus on rehabbing my leg and to that end I have signed up for a program called BSF - Building a Strong Foundation.  I am hoping it will really help with my hip and pelvis.

Other races ·
  •  Victoria Half Ironman as a solo race - I believe the riding girls have laid this as a challenge race and oh how I love a challenge and a wee bit of competition. 
  • Pacebunny – Vancouver Half marathon
  • Osoyoos as a relay team - Relay team's goal is to beat my hubby Joe.
  • New York Marathon - just because I have heard it is amazing and I have to run at least one marathon a year. 
  • Bike Time Trials – Barb will advise me which ones I am doing but I plan on defending my silver medal
  • Cypress Mountain Hill Climb - only one place to go but up on this one. 
  • Canada Day 3 km Swim Race
These are a few of the races I plan on for next year - I am sure there will be others.

Finally thanks again to Team NATHAN, Sugoi, GU, Canadian Running Magazine, and END  for the amazing opportunity and support it was an honor and a priveledge to wear the uniform and included with such and esteemed group. 

Remember you define your own humanly possible.

See you in trails and on the road.

Shaun

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best day ever!

13 hours 50 minutes - goal time

For the love of running