Motivation!

I have been helping my friend JuneBug James with her 1/2 marathon clinic as her 2:15 pacer.  A few weeks ago she asked the pace leaders to talk to the group about what motivates them.

The talk was great and it really got me  thinking about what does motivate me.  I mean I have been running regularly since 2000 and doing tri's since 2002.  It is more a lifestyle/hobby now but there are still times when I struggle with getting out the door and would prefer to lie on the couch playing on the Ipad and watching netflix all day.

So what motivates me a few things but the biggest is the Challenge - the challenge to prove to myself that I can do things that I never thought I could do and to prove that you don't have to be a professional or elite athlete.  You don't have to be the fastest or the strongest you just have to want to and have heart.

Other things that help are my buddies, my friends - I have been involved in sports all my life but the friends that I have made over the last 17 years in the running, cycling and tri community have been become my closest - they are my tribe.  I love the sense of support and community and adventure.  There is a bond that is forged when you go out there and run  or ride for 2, 3, 4 , 5 hours together.    You learn about these people, you learn how to support, encourage and suffer together.  You also learn how to laugh, celebrate and truimph together.  It really is quite amazing when you think about it.  For me when I wonder if I can do something they are always there either with me on or on the sidelines cheering me on and I am eternally grateful because knowing they believe I can do it helps me believe I can do it.

The final thing that motivates me is adventure - trying something new - testing "How bad can it be?" and what is that for this year - riding across Portugal - I am so excited and pumped - I have always wanted to do a cycling trip- it is going to be amazing and will help keep me motivated this year as I need to be able to stay on sir Joe's wheel.  LOL

So my advice - is plan a goal/challenge that will keep you honest and motivate you and  then recruit some friends to join you on the adveenture

Peace out
Shaun

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best day ever!

Anatomy on how NOT to run a major Race

Inside track to the Ironman Bike course