Change is in the air - trust the coach.

It has not even been 24 hours since I officially took a LOA from my clinic coaching duties and I already miss it!

The Running room has been my second home for the past 8 years I have pretty much been there EVERY Sunday and Thursday or Tuesday depending on the clinic over the last 8 years with a few exceptions. I have evolved from a wide eyed new half marathoner to marathoner, triathlete, pace leader and finally clinic leader. These people are an integral part of my life, they are some of the closest friends I have made in my life, they are like family to me and an integral part of my support network.

The rational part of me knows this is absolutely necessary for me to take a break from leading clinics - it takes up a lot of time. I know that I need to focus on myself and the goals I have personally set. It is just hard.

I have hired cycling coaches (wife and husband team - zimichcoaching.com - the best in BC - and it is time to actually work with them full-time so that I can get the full value of their experience and wisdom. Up until now I have been riding with them every 2nd Sunday and Wednesday evenings. Coach designs my training schedule and has been very patient working around my obligations to the clinic. It was very nice to see on this week's schedule for Thursday run = SHAUN - runs for herself now! And then an awesome workout of 1km repeats. I am excited to take it to the next level and nervous.

I am nervous because I am a runner - it is my first love. I am developing a real love for the bike but I love my long runs and the big thing over the next month is that Coach has cut back my runs to two a week (OMG!!!) in an effort to allow my leg/hip to heal properly and to build strength on the bike. She also says that I have proven I can run so drop the distances and times down. Plus the bike will allow me to rehab better - at least that is how everyone is selling it to me. I am freaking out - twice a week, only twice a week?!?! However as I know and have often said trust your coach - they have been where you are, they are there to help you excel that is why you hired them. Trust the coach.

While I might not be running with the gang for awhile I know I will chat with them via email and such, they are furiously making plans for their Ironman Shaunette outfits. My cycling group is great with lots of veteran Ironman peeps that are full of advice and tips and I have Team Nathan of course so it will be okay. I still miss them though wonder if anyone in the cycle group knows the Manananana song like Kirsten and June bug do, no one likes to sing alone....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps-i7w3tze8

Shaun

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best day ever!

Anatomy on how NOT to run a major Race

Inside track to the Ironman Bike course