Helloooo - Anyone out there?

I know I have been remiss in posting but it was with good reason. My lawyer asked me to stop posting and go off-line till I had settled with ICBC. It was the least I could do since I insisted that I wanted this finished and to move on. I am happy to report that I have settled and now no longer have to worry about being followed and such. Not that it really stopped me before but it is just nice to close the door and move on.




So what’s been going on since April/May lots!!!! Some triumphs and some frustrations and in between a whole lot of training.



I was a pace bunny at the Vancouver Half Marathon and promoted myself up to 2:15 as my recovery has been going well. I am pleased to report that I did 2:14:34 a smidge fast but what’s a bunny to do?



In April Special K, Pam and I started doing trail running clinics in anticipation of running the 5 Peaks trail race series and possibly putting in a relay team in to Stormy. The clinics are run by Tom and Duncan from Solomon Flight Crew. Each Saturday morning we hook up with them and they give us tips for trail running and take us over trails all around Vancouver. It has been great – my trail running has improved substantially and now I know a bunch of new trails. We have run 3 of the 5 races and Special K has been rocking her division winning 3 for 3. Myself - my goals is to finish without rolling an ankle and no mud on my ass – which is tougher than you think! The courses are not for the faint of heart. They are brutal and super technical and I am happy to report that I have achieved both goals in the first 3 races. The next race I will be doing Solo up in Whistler – should be interesting as we have to take the Gondola to the top to run. I am a little worried….



Stormy, sadly, I decided it was a no go – this is a tough course and we had not done a single run on the course or formed a team. Having done this race before I was not willing to go in without some long trail runs on the course under my belt. Ah well next year!



I am running another half clinic for the Running Room and been training for the New York Marathon in November. So that covers the running aspect.



Riding – my riding has been going really well – the hill climbing is coming back very nicely. I have been 2- 3 times a week – one day is 1.5 – 2 hours by myself, Wednesdays are usually Cypress night where I ride up the local mountain with Zimich girls or do some other brutal workout – usually 2 hours, and then Sat or Sun is my long ride – 3 – 4 hours. I am doing this all in preparation for the Gran Fondo. This is a bike race from Vancouver to Whistler and it is the first year. We have a team of 8 women riding and there are 4000 riders registered. The ride is going to be amazing and super tough – it is 120 km most it being up! It is in September.



Tri’s – this has been a little weird. Just the way my schedule has been and the races I have already registered I have not been able to fit in a triathlon. A little frustrating - we did have a relay team registered for the Osoyoos Half Ironman and I was the rider. I was super stoked about this race and trained really hard for it because the course is one of the toughest out there – it is part of the Ironman course – up Richters to Crofton (Out & Back) turn around and go back to Osoyoos the same way. If you think the rollers are brutal going to Keremeos they are worse going back to Osoyoos. We were going up against my husband Joe and my goal was to crush him on the bike. The unthinkable happened – our swimmer panicked in the water and did not finish in reg time so the team was disqualified and race day over. I can not begin to explain the level of frustration and disappointment. Frustration because there was nothing I could do to help my swimmer and disappointment because I really wanted to ride this race. Well I sort of got to – the officials were nice enough to let me get the bike out of transition and go for a ride. My friend Judith – aka Guardian Angel – was waiting at the top of Richters so I texted her what had happened and that I had my bike and she called and said she would wait so I rode up and met her and we rode the course together and cheered for the riders. I was able to get back and meet the rest of the relay team so we could cheer Joe on. It was a little awkward with our TEAM BEAT JOE shirts on but we all had a good laugh about it. Overall the weekend was good – I got a ride in, the weather was amazing and Joe had a great race and won a wetsuit. We’ll get him next year!



So that covers the last couple of months for me? What’s new with you? I promise I will be on-line more. This weekend we are doing a training ride from Squamish to Whistler and then Sunday a wee “29km” run. Should be great!



Peace out

Shaun

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best day ever!

Anatomy on how NOT to run a major Race

For the love of running