HOW BAD CAN IT BE? God I have missed that feeling.

So the last couple of years, I guess really after Ironman, I have kind of felt like I am just going through the motions.

Register for a race, train for a race, do a race.  Repeat.  I have not really been excited it just has been an ends to a means.  I mean I have been excited about the locations but the actual distance or type of race - not really.

That : wow how do I go about doing this, holy crap am I seriously thinking about doing this, I feel kind of sick, seriously HOW BAD CAN IT BE feeling.  It just has not been there. 

Well it is back and it feels awesome!  I feel anxious, a little worried and excited all at the same time.  You ask - what is it, what is it? 

Background first - my very first running Coach - Louise. .  She was so inspiring and really touched me and helped develop my passion for running.  She was/is an amazing athlete and her passion for running was contagious.  She really cared about us and encouraged us no matter how fast or slow and well when I lead clinics I really try to emulate her.   Louise was also a big trail runner and loved ultra's.  Her stories of her adventures doing Ultra's always amazed me.  One race that intrigued me and I have talked about lots is the Canada Death Race - this year it looked like I might finally do it but alas financially it is just not fiscally smart.  With Joe going to do the Trans Alps it just did not seem feasible. 

Then I started thinking about Stormy.  This is a 50 mile trail race in the back country behind Squamish.  A few years ago 2 friends of mine did it and I put in a relay team to run with them and support them.  I always maintained that one day I would like to try and do it solo.

Stormy however is no more but after contacting the old race director I have learned there is a new race/course - The Squamish 50.  I logged on to the site and honest to god my heart started to do a little skip, my nerves started and my stomach felt a little queasy.  OMG - I think I want to do this race.  Really want to do this race.  So much that I have not stopped thinking about it.  I have already began working on the gang to recruit either peeps to do the whole thing with me or at least put in a relay team to run with me. 

I have contacted Louise and my old trail coach Tom to ask for advice on training plans/distances and any other advice they can give.  Judith has agreed to go out to Squamish so we can train on the trails. 

The only person I have not mentioned it to is JOE....  I was thinking of saying - "Good news I am not going to do the Canadian Death Race! "- He keeps telling me I am not allowed to... - Then I can say I am going to do the Squamish 50 - YEAH!!!  That should go over well - I mean I am giving him something he wants, right?

The trick is to make sure I have all my ducks in a row - my training plan laid out and yada, yada.  He will still stress about me doing it and probably tell me I can't - which we all know is like waving a red flag in front of me - I mean look how well it worked for Ironman - bahaha.

Okay- WOW- I think I am really going to do this - EEEEEEEEEKKKKK.  Seriously though - How bad can it be?

Peace out
Shaun

Comments

Unknown said…
Go Shaun go!! Glad to hear you've got your energy and passion on fire again! You're such a sparkplug!
Unknown said…
woohoo! Onward and upward (then down and up and down and up all those trails!)

Popular posts from this blog

Best day ever!

Inside track to the Ironman Bike course

For the love of running