RIP Shazam

Yes that is right you read the title right. Easy come, easy go.

So you all got to see my beautiful new carbon fibre bike, I named her Shazam - yes I name all my bikes just like I name my cars. Weird - maybe but you know what I am not an ax-murder so c'est la vie.

Anyways back to Shazam. So I got her sized up and was vibrating with excitement to go for an inaugural ride. So the next Saturday - almost 2 weeks ago now - I got up early and dressed up - as a precaution I even threw on my yellow riding jacket - just to make us more visible - for all the good it would do - and off we went.

It was amazing - we flew up the hills and down the hills, gears changed smoothly - like a hot knife through butter, I felt like I was riding on air. I think I even giggled at one point - it was nirvana. We were bonding nicely and on our way back home from a really great ride out to Coquitlam and back.

We made our left hand turn ON THE GREEN for the final push home. Then it happened. Out of nowhere I am getting slammed from behind and then I am on the ground! Then I am looking at the undercarriage of a Jeep! I am still not completely sure how it all went down but suffice it to say Shazam and me were pretty banged up. We both got chaperoned rides - Shazam off to the local firehouse next door to home and me off to emergency for a delightful afternoon of neck braces, body boards and xrays.

Final prognosis - Shazam is done - it is over - this relationship was shorter than my grade 1 boyfriend! Carbon fibre bike versus Jeep YJ- Jeep YJ won. Me - I am pretty sore and banged up - lots of green and purple spots, pulled hamstring, pelvis injury still not diagnosed - xrays negative for a fracture so bone scan next, back, neck and shoulders very sore and headaches. I am not sure what upsets me more the injuries and necessary rehab to see if I can continue with the plan for Ironman or the loss of such a great bike. Sometimes I think I am more upset about the bike.

I start physio tomorrow so we will see - I am determined to get back as soon as I can and thankfully Insurance will cover the bike but still. Mostly I am a little worried that I will be gun-shy on the bike now. That I will be too tentative.

List of things to do - rehab, replace shazam, start training again - this is a setback but I am determined to do Ironman next August. Thankfully the driver stopped when he noticed I was "riding" his hood. He seems like a good guy he apologized, called the ambulance and did not run over me when I came off the hood and went under for which I will always be eternally grateful.

Actually I feel pretty darn lucky - I am not paralyzed, no serious head injury or worse dead.

Shaun

Comments

Anonymous said…
I wish I could make it all better. I hope things are improving now and the the bruises starting to fade.

Popular posts from this blog

Best day ever!

Inside track to the Ironman Bike course

For the love of running