Compromise

While I am now a sponsored athlete - YEAH TEAM NATHAN - I am not able to retire from my full-time day job just yet...

When I signed up for Ironman I went in with my eyes wide open about the time commitment that would be required and that I would have to learn to compromise - not one of my strongest suits at the best of times.

I am a by-the-book kind of gal - if coach says ride for 3 hours and gives me zones I will do that workout as precise to time and zones as possible and I hate having to adjust or change anything but I am learning because more importantly I need to get the workouts in.

The next 2 weeks are going to test me to my limits as we have family coming from overseas tomorrow and I have a long standing charity event that I have volunteered at for over 10 years this weekend. My brain almost friztes out when I try to figure out how I am going to do the workouts, play hostess, go to work and do the charity event. Something is going to implode - I am just not sure what.

In my first act of compromise instead of doing the weekly ride up the mountain (which I have not done for the past 2 weeks...) I said I would move my bike ride to today so that I could go to the airport and meet them - see compromise. I forgot my shoes today so now I must compromise again and will now go home get my shoes and ride the "hill" mountain by my house - argggghhhhh. That is 3 of no Cypress - panic starts to build.

Hubby was saying something about Thursday evening and family but I have a brick on Thursday to do.... I suppose I could get up at 4:30am to do the workout and then go to work. Again compromise. Friday I have to attend a BBQ function which I am seriously considering bailing on so I don't miss my swim workout.... I suppose I could get up early again but I may have to be at work for 6:30am - don't know yet.

For the weekend I will run down to the 24 Hour Relay event site on Saturday to get my run in and I have scaled back my participation for the weekend. In previous years I arrived at 6:30am Saturday and stayed right through until Sunday at 10:30am with NO SLEEP. This year I feel a bit guilty in that I have done none of my usual pre-event stuff and will basically be showing up the morning of and leaving Saturday evening around 8pm to sleep in my bed. I also have no plans to be at the stadium on Sunday at all - it will be weird I am always there for the closing ceremones but I will be doing my long ride with the group.

I have taken a stand in some ways - I have told hubby I will not go camping or out of town unless he buys a bike rack for the car. I will not miss my long rides and we can not fit gear, 4 adults and a dog as well as my bike in the car.

My eye is starting to twitch when I think about all the hoop jumping I am going to have to do for the next 2 weeks. But I am determined to not miss a single workout - somehow someway I will get them in. And well if push comes to shove the hostess duties will suffer - sorry peeps it is Ironman and everyone knew I had registered for it in September.... I guess I still need to work on the compromise thing...

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think you are doing great. Others can make comprimises too!!

Chris

Popular posts from this blog

Best day ever!

13 hours 50 minutes - goal time

For the love of running